From: full-disclosure at royds.net (Bill Royds)
Subject: [inbox] Re: RE: Linux (in)security

Actually most of VMS was written in a programming language called BLISS-32
which was designed to write an OS.

An unusual thing about BLISS was that it defined variables as the address
and one had to explicitly dereference the name to get the value of a
variable ( a little like the $ in front of Perl variables).
It was quite explicit in BLISS code as to whether one was looking at the
variable or its contents or its attrtibutes, forcing Bliss coders to much
more aware of possible alias problems and overflow problems.

The result of BLISS was VAX assembler code rather than raw machine code,
which is why the port to Alpha went  the way it did.  Bliss fell out of
favour at DEC becuase it required programmers to learn a new style of coding
from C so the Alpha code used more C than Bliss.