From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: [Bogus] Microsoft AuthenticodeT webcam viewer
 plugin

"Lan Guy" <rlanguy@...mail.com> wrote:

> Some time, like 2 or 3 years ago some group registered their Own Certs in
> the name of Microsoft Corporation.
> http://slashdot.org/articles/01/03/22/1947233.shtml

Yeah, I know.

That's why I take anything with a Verisign cert with two grains of salt
-- at least if the signature is good I know the file is unchanged
relative to what whoever signed it wanted me to get, but beyond that I
expect _nothing_.

Oddly MS did not immediately drop Verisign, get a whole bunch of new
certs from another CA and revoke all their Verisign certs.  That alone
showed that either MS did not value at the all the tiny additional
amount of "trust" a truly good CA can add to the equation, or that MS
did not understand (or, more likely, was unprepared for marketing
reasons to admit) that Authenticode is really just a sham adding
nothing of significant value to the security of mobile code.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald