From: josh at nicepeople.org (Josh)
Subject: TinyURL

There is something actually interesting about tinyurl's sequence
predictability:
You can gain an idea of what is in the collective consciousness at any
given date.

The letters assigned have nothing to do with the url being posted but
are rather assigned in continuing sequence,  currently we are at t1xx.
One only has to go back a little ways to get an idea of where they are
currently and look for dates.

The sequence increments in the following manner: 0-9 then A-Z

The value of the predictability has much more value than simply gleaning
passwords.  While factoring in the fact that not all sites have long
urls,  one could develop a site ranking using the urls gleaned from
tinyurl based on where the letter counts are per day.  At a given time
each day, simply create a tinyurl and use that as the starting point for
the day's info, with the following day's tinyurl as an endpoint.

Also, it is a neat way to keep up on current events/read on topics you
hadn't before.

As far as security is concerned, what is the point of a tiny url? To be
posted to an email, newsgroups, IRC etc... all of which are public
forums.  Why would you embed personal information in a tinyurl?  I went
through a sample of about 300 urls and found no uname/pass combos.  The
only time you will most likely find uname/pass combos in a tinyurl is
when the poster himself is probably not the holder of the account (i.e.
Someone posts a url to funny porn).

Tinyurl is a service which is used mainly by the educated/civilized who
don't want to burden others with a 4 page query string.  Those who know
about tinyurl most likely are intelligent enough to use it properly.

-Josh
josh@...epeople.org