From: dan at ssc.com (Dan Wilder)
Subject: M$ puts bounty out for Blaster and Sobig culprits

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:35:08AM -0500, Robert Davies wrote:

> > Maybe M$ should put out a bounty for reporting bugs in their
> > crappy software without going public instead.  That might be
> > more effective.
>
> Effective, yes, but I would not believe MS willing to pay people to hear
> about how crappy they coded x, y and z service.

The last time anybody I know tried to report a bug to the Redmond Giant,
they wanted him to slap down a credit card and pay _them_ before they'd
accept the report.  He did.  They didn't charge him much, less than
$100, but the bug was never fixed.

Needless to say the guy never attempted to report another bug to them.
He was a supporter of theirs, too.  He still has his complete collection
of original Windows NT Beta CDs!

Last I heard from him, he wanted to know if I'd help him cross a few "t"s
after he upgrades his main fileserver from older Slackware to SuSE 9.

Maybe now when they've come to understand that quality matters to at
least some of their customers, they'll rethink the misguided policy
of requiring the public to pay to submit bug reports.

--
Dan Wilder <dan@....com>