From: mikael.olsson at clavister.com (Mikael Olsson)
Subject: Re: Funny article

David Maynor wrote:

> Mikael Olsson wrote:
> > counting bugs in
> > the most commonly used [apps] is most certainly reasonable.
> >

> What about apps that run on both windows and linux?

If it's a common enough app to count, its vulnerability count
should of course be included in both totals.  That was my point.

> When you start
> counting 3rd party apps in the equation, you are throwing a horrible
> slant into the mix. This is similar to getting a new 3rd party part for
> your car then blaming the carmaker when that part fails. Microsoft needs
> to include things like apache becasue the make both their OS and the
> webserver, so a comaprsion of security flaws broken down by responsible
> groups would make Microsoft look horrible.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the script kiddies don't care
about zealotry. I have yet to hear one say "Oh, this is a Linux
box, so I can't use this Apache bug to own it. That'd be rong."

If I expose N attack vectors, I want the vulnerability counts for
all those vectors nicely summed up for platform options A, B and
C before I choose which platform to use.

Saying "the linux kernel has only foo bugs while every microsoft
app combined has foo^3 bugs" makes no sense in a security
discussion. You don't read mail or serve web pages with a kernel.

Again, I suspect we're in violent agreement of the platform of
choice for all relevant areas of use, but I prefer to make my
choices on _relevant_ facts, and so, I suspect, does the
majority of security-conscious people.

Publishing an _unbiased_ report of total vulnerability counts
for two or more OSes, with common apps installed, is a service
to admins everywhere.  (And no, I _really_ don't think comparing
RH6 with W2K3 is "unbiased". I think it stinks.)

Regards,
/Mikael

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ?RNSK?LDSVIK, Sweden