From: A.J.Caines at halplant.com (Andrew J Caines)
Subject: Fwd: YOUR PAYPAL.COM ACCOUNT EXPIRES

Paul,

> As an email administrator, when I receive a spam complaint for a piece of
> dreck that obviously did not originate from our network or pass through
> our  servers, I think "this doofus can't read headers", and I usually send
> a polite note explaining that sender addresses can be forged and that the
> recipient ought  to send the complaint to someone who is actually in a
> position to do something about it.

What if the report is advising you that your hosts, domain or IPs are
being forged in the abusive and possible illegal message, especially if
accompanied by an offer to assist in any investigation you may want to
conduct?

> Except when the sender explicitly says "I can read headers, but have
> arrogantly decided that you ought to see this anyway, because I'm sure you
> don't have enough real problems to deal with", in which case I think "this
> doofus  needs a dose of reality".

I think you mean implicitly, unless you get some very odd reports.

There's always a chance that the "doofus" knows a thing or two about mail
and spam and can help you act on the misuse of your name.

> But then, it might just be me.

It's certainly not just you, but in my experience most mail admins whose
knee-jerk "not me" response gets a polite reply pointing out the advisory
and helpful nature of the report are receptive and appreciative.

In your case, Dave Null won't help you, but at least he won't take up any
of your time trying to do so.

-Andrew-