From: joel at helgeson.com (Joel R. Helgeson)
Subject: Wireless Security

Hey Paddy,
I've been doing wireless security ever since Cisco acquired the Aironet
Product line.  I was working for Cisco at the time.  I was also there when
they developed the LEAP architecture and it was my team that implemented the
first large-scale roll-out of it for the Chicago Board of Trade & the
Currency Exchange.  What I'm trying to say is that when it comes to wireless
security, I've been there, done that.

There has always been a Holy Grail that has been sought when working with
Wireless Security.  The trade-off always seems to be Flexibility vs.
Security. This was always the case until I came across wireless gateways.
I've now been working with wireless gateways for over a year now and I can
say that they have solved every problem I've encountered with wireless
security.

A wireless gateway is similar to a firewall with some key differences.  Just
as a firewall is designed and customized to secure internet communications,
a Wireless Gateway is customized to secure wireless to wired communications.
A firewall segments internal from external networks, whereas a gateway
segments wired and wireless.

I would recommend that you take a look at the Reefedge product. It is by far
the most scalable and secure solution I have found to date.
www.reefedge.com

In the interest of FD: I do not work for a wireless gateway provider, but my
company does resell them.  We resell them because until they came along,
wireless security was a pain in the arse.  I am not a paid endorser of any
product, nor do I have any financial interest in any wireless gateway
company.  I'm pretty sure they can now export the product overseas.

Regards,

Joel R. Helgeson
Director of Networking & Security Services
SymetriQ Corporation

"Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he'll
be
warm for the rest of his life."