From: eguaj at free.fr (Jérôme Augé)
Subject: gkrellm 2.1.19 email user/password storage in clear text

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 03:03:36PM -0800, christopher neitzert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I couldn't find this when searching through the list archives so I
> presume it hasn't been posted yet.
>
> From gkrellm-2.1.19 rpm base:
>
> ~user/.gkrellm/user-config  stores passwords for IMAP, IMAP-CRAM-MD5,
> and POP in clear text.
>
> From ~user/.gkrellm/user-config
> --
> mail mailbox-remote IMAP_(CRAM-MD5) some.server.com "username"
> "password" 143 "inbox"
> --
>
> Can anyone confirm that this is true on other versions/platforms?

Yes, this is true, login and password are stored in clear text and I
don't think this is a security flaw, this is the expected behaviour.

On my system (Redhat FC1) the `user-config' file is not readable by
other users or groups :

  $ ls -l user-config
  -rw-------    1 jauge    jauge        3287 Dec 28 14:24 user-config

So I don't consider this a problem...

There are plenty of files that store password in clear text like the
.netrc or .fetchmailrc file. The only requirement for such file is to be
correctly protected with a chmod/umask and this user-config file seems
correctly protected.

Regards,
J?r?me

--