From: petard at freeshell.org (petard)
Subject: Whois acting funny in FreeBSD

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 12:42:55PM -0600, Chris McGinnis wrote:
> My linux boxes seem to work fine.  When I query a specific whois server
> such as whois.networksolutions.com it works fine also.  Is anyone else
> getting anything like this?  I'm thinking maybe the default whois server
> that the whois program queries has been compromised?  I'm not sure what the
> default whois server is.
according to the man page on my openbsd box:

By default whois constructs the name of a whois server to use
from the top-level domain (TLD) of the supplied (single)argu-
ment, and appending ".whois-servers.net". This effectively allows
a suitable whois server to be selected automatically for a large
number of TLDs.

$ /usr/sbin/host com.whois-servers.net
com.whois-servers.net is an alias for whois.verisign-grs.com.
whois.verisign-grs.com has address 198.41.3.54

$ whois -h whois.verisign-grs.com msn.com

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

MSN.COM.TW
MSN.COM.SUCKS.FIND.CRACKZ.WITH.SEARCH.GULLI.COM
MSN.COM

Looks like someone's having fun with verisign.

regards,

petard