From: full-disclosure at royds.net (Bill Royds)
Subject: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

Actually you are quite correct that Windows has fundamental design flaws
that make it unsafe to go unprotected on the Internet. Which is why Windows
machines need to be behind a firewall to connect and a Personal Firewall
running at the TCP/IP stack level is better than letting the windows OS face
the Net. That is why I like the idea of a Personal Firewall Day. I am
running a Windows OS because I administer Windows machines at work and I
need to have the same versions running at home, but I know that it isn't
really safe so I have IFC running, plus a firewall and IDS. It would be
wonderful to have every Windows box switched to Linux in the next 3 days. I
would be able to have Linux to administer etc. But that is NOT GOING TO
HAPPEN. Microsoft was convicted under anti-trust legislation and had no real
penalty. They did better than AT&T which was forced to divest into the baby
Bells. So we have to live with the Microsoft problem. Personal Firewalls are
one way to make the Internet safer for Linux users as much as Windows users.
Those Code Red and Nimda machines beating at my firewall and yours spread
because people are connecting Windows machines to the Internet without a
condom. Yes, abstinence from windows is safer that hex with it, but we need
to stop the diseases it carries from spreading for the betterment of all
Internet users, not just Windows users.