From: purdy at tecman.com (Curt Purdy)
Subject: [inbox] RE: Anti-MS drivel

Wicks wrote:

> Microsoft has competition.  Apple, Sun, Red Hat . . .
>
> Problem is Apple is full of idiots who feature style over substance.
> The system has to look better than it performs.  The OS is more stable
than
>Microsoft, but their elitist attitude will
>always keep them at 5% market share.

> Business on the other hand is moving slowly to Linux.  Why
> slowly?  Who
> do you sue when your business is hacked by someone who planted a
> backdoor in the Linux kernel?

Your point about Apple is off the mark.  However that very statement applies
perfectly to MS.  They take the best OS they ever made, W2K (though not as
good as the other three mentioned) and make a pretty interface for XP while
adding very little in functionality but adding tons of bugs and security
flaws to come up with the worst OS since 3.1

If you doubt Apples commitment to a solid, secure, enterprise strategy, read
Tom Yager of InfoWorld sometime.  I would gladly give you 2-to-1 odds on
your 5% market prediction.

As for Linux, the problem is not who to sue, otherwise MS would have
thousands of suits against it right now.  The problem is support and that
has now been solved with Novell's acquisition of Suse.  The combination of
the most secure OS around with an experienced, quality support staff, fully
integrated with Linux is a driving force.  Novell has finally got it right
and their growing market share in the enterprise will reflect that.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke