From: jbajko at CTMSINC.com (Justin Bajko)
Subject: Anti-MS drivel

> If a builder sold you a home with no locks on the doors and no
> latches on the windows, I suspect that he could be successfully sued
> in the modern "blame everyone in sight" environment of the U.S.  And,
> unlike a number of other cases, I would agree with that, on the basis
> that (unless the home was in an extremely remote location) the
> builder was intolerably negligent to omit those locks and latches.

I don't doubt that I'll regret posting in this thread, but, what the hell?

I don't think that (holding true to the analogy) Microsoft has built its
houses without latches on the windows or locks on the doors. The latches and
locks are there, and they're not all that hard to use if you take the time
to figure out how to turn them.

What would you say to someone if you were a home builder and the buyer of a
home you built a year ago had their lawyers call you and threaten to sue you
because their house got broken into? You installed locks on the doors and
you installed latches on all the windows, but the person who bought the
house never took the time to bother out how they worked, thus they always
left their house unlocked, and eventually, it bit them in the ass when they
came home to a house full of nothing.

The door locks and window latches are there -- people are just too apathetic
to figure out how to turn them.
--
-jtb

[Note: I'm mainly referring to Windows XP, which comes with a firewall built
into it. No, it doesn't come with an anti-virus client, but I can't think of
an operating system that does; at least, not by default.]