From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Anti-MS drivel

> Up to now they rule the consumer OS market with more than 90% market
> share. Any error they make regarding default settings in their OS
> affects 90% of all end consumers. It is impossible to require that many
> customers to adapt. Rather the vendor has to adapt. This is only
> logical.

What's the incentive to make the vendor change?  It's going to take one
HUGE boycott to achieve that, HUGE becuase the market is worlwide, and we
can't get a few thousand users on this single FD list to agree to much
from one day to the next, let alone to get a large international boycott
up and running, despite the dependance of many gov's and home users, and
corps upon the M$ code.  So far the feds and a number of state in the US
have not been up to forcing change in redmond, even with million dollar a
day fines once imposed.

And let's face it, many of the folks on this and other lists that buy a
PC, wipe windows and install a *bsd or linux/*nix clone, are still
contributing to the redmond  bottom line of their big buck, cause most
those PC's come pre-installed with a M$ OS underneath.  What do they care
if that software license sits in a drawer and remains unused after first
turning on the system?  They made their share <smile>.

And most on these list should understand as well, I do not disagree with
the anti-M$ sentiments, I've posted many of my own over the years, but, I
do know better then to lie to myself and think that M$ on the desktop or
in the corporate world is faced with any major threat at this time from
redhat or suse.

Understand this is not going to be a simple boycott by a few thousand or
hundred thousand buyers of bannanas from say nicaragua...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.