From: jeremiah at nur.net (Jeremiah Cornelius)
Subject: local SYSTEM on Windows vs. local root onUnix

----- Original Message -----
From: "joe" <mvp@...ware.net>

> I understand what you are saying but don't completely agree with intent.
> More Unix admins know how to run things as root than Windows admins know how
> to run things in localsystem. Getting localsystem isn't a straight logon
> with a specific password thing, you have to know how to either spin up a
> specific service to do what you want or force an existing service to do what
> you want.

SRVANY.EXE
"Application associated with Microsoft Windows NT4/2000/XP Resource Kit which is used to run normal Windows applications as services."  I used this as long as 7-8 years ago, on NT 3.51 - for running batch-files as services.

The KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q137/8/90.asp&NoWebContent=1) actually states "The Windows NT Resource Kit provides two utilities that allow you to create a Windows NT user-defined service for Windows NT applications and some 16-bit applications (but not for batch files). "  That wasn't true on Old NT - but I wouldn't recommend doing so.  You had to declare your entire environment in the batchfile, if AUTOEXEC.NT didn't give you what you wanted.