From: randnut at hotmail.com (first last)
Subject: MyDoom download info

> > >IE: how do you know that the behavior you see in the lab reflects
> > >behavior in
> > >the real world? (I get a kind of 'schrodingers cat' deja vu).
> >
> > You can always disassemble the virus, which is what people
> > will do if it's a real "popular" one such as MyDoom.
>
>IIRC there are viruses that are encrypted and are almost impossible
>to disassemble?
>
>Would that be true?

Sobig.F was packed with tElock. It's a PE file protector. It "encrypts" the
program's code and data, and tries to detect debuggers before giving control
to the real program. If you don't have the right tools and skills it could
be difficult to unpack it. IIRC, it took the anti-virus companies two days
to successfully unpack the program. All they really needed to do was dump it
from memory while it was running and they could've analyzed it immediately
with any disassembler.