From: JMC13 at mail3.cs.state.ny.us (Clairmont, Jan)
Subject: Tons of  help for You, the Truth is Out The
	re!

I would take a basic networking class, explaining and using TCP/IP,
exploits etc.  This is a good basic first step and in every 1,000 mile
journey you must take the first step.

Good books are out there on Firewalls, AV, IDS, TCP/IP and network security.
There are also hackers guides to the internet, good but dangerous.

Also load up windump or tcpdump on your Windows/Linux machine and
decode and look at different ports(services) and protocols and get familiar
with how normal traffic on your network looks.  Then when you see strange
addresses etc, you'll know something is cooking.  Get to know ping,
nslookup, finger, whois, traceroute, smnpwalk, netstat or whatever and learn
about what they do and what they are for.  Know what ports are open normally
on your system, be familiar with your task lists and processes, then again
anything weird, you're on it.

Warm Regards and Good Hunting, Security Is Fun, Security is Fair, "You
May already have won, You may already be There.  Hello, we're glad you
 "I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus," Firesign theatre.

Jan Clairmont, Paladin of Security or Insecurity, the Department of
Insecurity
Department.8-> I rip off all my quotes and then pollute them.