From: emvs.fd.3FB4D11C at cpo.tn.tudelft.nl (Erik van Straten)
Subject: Oldest Hack Sept. 1970 Just for Fun

Warning: if you dunno what L1-A means you may wanna press Del now

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:47:55 -0500 "Exibar" wrote:
> Well, I wrote an infinate loop in Fortran (accidentally, really!),
> well guess what I did, I caused the first DoS.

Yeah, thanks to someone like you I'm in this silly business. A local
student did the same on our univ. mainframe which cost our group about
500 US$ (ignoring inflation), so the professor decided to buy a Sun
4/110 plus 5x 3C503 (100x that price) for all AT's we had at the time.

When it arrived he asked who was going to operate it. Apart from some
ASM hacking on home computers I was unexperienced, and had never used
Unix before. Nobody else volunteered so I dug in. The Sun had a *huge*
300MB HDD and a 60MB tapedrive. I never stopped hating tapes.

Soon someone suggested to connect our LAN to the university net that
was being implemented; people got frustrated running Kermit via RS232,
and the guy who checked the single group-email-account disliked walking
to peoples rooms (no we didn't call him biff) saying "you have mail"
(fortunately I didn't subscribe to FD at the time :)

Initially I objected making the interconnect because I figured this
could be a security risk (the box, which ran SunOS 4.1.3, was never
compromised AFAIK, but today it would probably be more exploitable
than unpatched XP). If I recall correctly only rwhod was commented
out because it was a "performance pig" or something.

> > > Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:58:36 -0500
> > > From: "Clairmont, Jan" <JMC13@...l3.cs.state.ny.us>
> > >
> > > TIME$ A$=TIME$
SYNTAX ERROR // 2 statements on 1 line, no line numbers?!

Whatever - back to the future!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1464011,00.asp.
> Can E-Mail Survive?
> By Cade Metz