From: adam at hif.hu (Szilveszter Adam)
Subject: Interesting side effect of the new IE patch

[While others have already commented, I cannot resist]

Stefan Esser wrote:

> Ohh yes and I choose the word standard, because standard is not what
> some RFC/paper dictates, but what the majority of people (or browsers)
> use (support).

Huh. This is what's called an "industry standard" and does not have a
lot to do with standardisation, and everything to do with market power.
By the same token, everybody should be doing things the same as IE and
Windows, since they are the industry standards. While at it, why not
actually *use* them as well? After all, there is no emulation like the
Real Thing(TM). And since using IIS and FrontPage is a really easy way
to produce and serve web sites that utilise the "full potential" of IE
and Windows, why not use them too? Essentially this was the type of
reasoning that Microsoft tried to push the envelope on, this is why they
gave away the browser for free and this is what landed them stamped as a
monopolist. Oh, and it is not just MS, before anyone pipes up. For
example there were plenty of non standards-compliant HTML extensions
that only Netscape Navigator 3.x supported at the time and that made web
page look more "pretty" (like the <center> tag.) At the time, the other
browsers were forced to support this misfeature, and what do you know,
people still use them although they were explicitly deprecated long ago.

> NTSC would not exist otherwise, because NTSC was NOT
> the official standard for color television in the beginning.

And it still isn't much of it, AFAIK its use is limited to North
America, which does not count, they still do not understand the metric
system either :-)

Regards:
Sz.