From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: Gee Why don't you teach then! Help out the community.

This is directed at the original poster (sorry, I lost the thread).

You've completely missed the point, although you may have a valid argument
that everyone from Dennis Ritchie on down (myself included) who makes a
comment of any nostalgic quality is an "old codger".

BITD there *was* teaching and mentoring. It was called TAP/Phrack/BBSs.

New people generally would go through the following learning curve:
introduction, inspection, involvement, road block, trial and error,
communication.  The communication part had to come after all the rest,
otherwise you would be perceived as "teach me to hack" and banished to
the far side of the crowd. However anyone who came to the table with
"I want to do this, I've tried all these, with these results, and now
I need a push in the right direction" invariably received encouragement
and help from the people whom they asked (with a couple of notable
exceptions whose names I won't call here).

Of course, the "I want to do this" often involved something that is now
illegal in almost every phurst-whirlled country, so places like FD
sprang up in defiance. So that is why you missed the point, because
this *is* the school and you just spray-painted graffiti on the wall.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                              E-mail: greg@...liss.com
Computer Security                             WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/