From: full-disclosure at royds.net (Bill Royds)
Subject: Interesting side effect of the new IE patch

NTSC has been the North American television standard since 1945 (it stands
for National Television Standards Committee). Where are you saying it is
non-standard. It is just that there are more than one group setting
standards as in computers. The IETF sets standards for the Internet. ISO
sets standards for X.25 packet switching. If you don't like IETF standards,
disconnect now and use X.25 (if you can find it).
   By your logic, one should never use anything other than Windows since it
is the "de facto" standard and never connect to any other network than AOL,
since it has a large share of the market.
  Standards are agreed to by a standards body, not a single manufacturer nor
just common use. Often standards bodies will try to codify common use into a
standard. But if the standards body is doing its job, it will find unsafe
usage (such as the userinfo@ convention) and delete it from the published
standard. Standards often reach an end of lifetime because they are
inadequate for later technology. Are you still using leaded gasoline in your
car because it was once the standard? Microsoft saw the error of their
deviation from the standard and has fixed it. The world changes. Get over
it.

  Oh yes, in a number of jurisdictions, it is now illegal to have a cell
phone connected while driving. People own up to mistakes and fix them. Will
you?

Headers allow the transmittal of authentication information at initial call,
allowing pre-programmed information rather than the returned error code and
then authentication of BasicAuth. It covers the only possible legitimate use
of the userinfo@...t syntax.