From: dcopley at eeye.com (Drew Copley)
Subject: RE: Another Low Blow From Microsoft: MBSA Failure!

<snip>

> Had we trusted Microsoft Base Analyzer we would still be vulnerable.

Retina has the same potential functionality as MBSA. We can also do
registry and file checks. And, sometimes we do. But, we try to do remote
checks that are non-intrusive and that do not use these. A big reason
for this is that remote registry and file checks are very unreliable.
(Far beyond just the fact that someone could fake out the scanner by
putting a dummy file or registry entry up there intentionally).

I don't know anyone that uses MBSA only for their network. It is an
interesting toy, but it surely isn't capable of replacing a true
vulnerability assessment solution.

> Questions comments email me at dotsecure@...hamail.com or
> Aim: Evilkind.

<snip>