From: brett at softwarecreations.co.nz (Brett Moore)
Subject: RE: [kinda-but-not-really-Full-Disclosure-so-we-feel-warm-and-fuzzy] Re: <to various comments>EEYE: Microsoft ASN.1 ...

Its great...

With the MS patching been relegated to monthly, it means we only have
to put up with this crap once a month... but man it drags on.. and on...
and on....

Everyone has an opinion, agreed. But its not like those same opinions
are not shared by others.. Some would like full disclosure, because its
interesting and inciteful... And knowing how to exploit one bug can lead
to the discovery of similar bugs... But then we may as well start discussing
the fact that if researchers didn't find and disclose bugs, then would the
'bad guys' really find them... Maybe, maybe not.. But I'd bet top $ that
there are 'bad guys' out there finding these things for a reason and not
disclosing. Because said 'bad guys' are not part of what we call the
'security community'...

Because it must be realised that as soon as a patch and or advisory is
released
there are global teams of people working to discover and exploit said bug.
I'd take a stab and say US, Chinese, Russian, Middle eastern and possibly
even outerspace 'spy' agencies as well as organised crime and mafia  right
down
to 'hacking' groups, uni students and other security enthusiasts.

It's pretty obvious with the latest releases from ngssoftware that they
are not providing any details... And eEye it seems is no longer providing
step by step intructions... Thats their choice. In fact we should be
lucky that they provide any details, or would you prefer that they kept
quiet and MS just released patches for 'undisclosed' problems...

Or is there a real need for a 'real-full-disclosure' list where membership
is restricted and details are shared (if it doesn't already exist)...
If that happened then ppl that don't like it should not subscribe, and then
they can feel better... Ignorance is bliss (thats a phrase not something
directed at anyone, in fact I sometimes prefer bliss).

> Administrators don't need this crap to fix their boxes, they simply need
Some do, some don't.. But all developers of internet facing applications,
sure as hell better care about this stuff.

> running.  The average worm writer is not competent enough to reverse
> engineer a ms patch to find the changed code and produce a working
Perhaps,.. Code red was intense in the 'features' that it used and even the
method of exploiting the bug..
And wasn't it the peeps from x-focus that published details of the RPC Dcom
bug, after LSD refused to release details....

To quote a kiwi drinking at a bar 'we should just say that there are no
more bugs, and that all computers are secure'....

And the rapping and other humor in advisories.. So what.. Who decided that
this industry couldn't be fun... Just because ppl are highly intelligent
and tuned into security research, doesn't mean they are not allowed to have
a laugh...

>The strategy is simple, patch, patch, patch.
Yup. Because with or without 'step by step' deatils, the timeframe is down
to less than 60 days, if not 30.