From: pwicks at oxygen.com (James Patterson Wicks)
Subject: Removing FIred admins

Only the senior administrator and the CTO have the root password to the
Unix systems.  The senior admin does not "own" and servers, but is the
manager for all of the other admins.  Could he get mad and make changes
to the interpreter, but the server "owner" would notice this and check
the changes against the change management log.  Any unusual events would
be sent to the CTO.

Like you said, there is no magic button to press and instantly remove an
admin's influence from an enterprise.  BUT if you have a good process in
place that leverages existing technologies, you can do a good job of
protecting your enterprise.  Admins leave companies all the time, but
enterprises continue to operate without a problem.

If all else fails, make sure that the company lawyer is in the office
when you fire the admin.  A good threat can go a long way.