From: brightwell_151 at yahoo.co.uk (John Brightwell)
Subject: Removing Fired admins

Changing passwords would be a good move. It may be
worth cracking the old password - if it's not known -
and doing a quick scan of scripts just to make sure
the admin password isn't embedded in a script (an
appalling practise that should be eliminated ... but
you don't want to wait for something to fail before
finding out about it)

Make sure that everybody knows that the admin is no
longer allowed access to the system (everybody! you
don't want the admin to be able to call a remote user
and get their credentials). Advise any service
providers or support organisations who may otherwise
assume that the admin has access to systems.

If you have any external services which allow
automated updates (Domain registration details,
nameserver details) then you need to change these
authentication credentials as well.

Make sure that any physical access credentials that
the admin may have known get changed (keycode entry
systems etc)

If you have any remote access systems then make sure
these are completely reviewed - if they are a black
box solution (cisco, nortel etc) - with very little
opportunity for software modifications then have the
configuration checked by an expert. If your remote
access system is home-grown (windows, Linux etc) then
you may want to reinstall from scratch - just to make
sure there aren't any backdoors.

If you are using passwords for remote access then all
passwords must be changed... not just the admin's
password (I recommend using two-factor authentication
for remote access anyway).

If you allow on-demand connections to other networks
(analog or ISDN) you should change the authentication
(PAP/CHAP password etc) ... I know you can't trust
CallerID for analog circuits - I'm not sure about
ISDN.

Admin passwords on the network equipment should be
changed as well.

Check your system connections looking for any modems
or wireless access points that the admin may have
installed to make their access easier (I've heard of
an admin who installed a modem and hid it under the
raised floor in a systems room ... so that he could
have access to the company's extensive library even
after he left the company ... he was still using  it a
year after he left!). You will need to check
everywhere

Any dial-out solutions you have will also need to be
checked (connection to dial-out banking services,
payroll, links for internet testing etc) ... even
though they are supposedly dial-out they may have a
dial-in facility (which the admin knows about)
Get a list of all analog and ISDN lines from your
accounts dept and make sure you know what each line is
used for

Unfortunately, having been an admin he/she may have
previously cracked people passwords (to test the
password strength) or users may have disclosed their
password. So all passwords should be expired (bear in
mind that people may use the same password in multiple
systems, so the password may need to be expired in
systems that weren't administered by the rogue admin).

Lock down as much as you can at the outset - if you
have any systems which hold particularly sensitive
data then pay them special attention (check code
checksums against supplier checklists) go through all
listening network services, check cron jobs and boot
scripts ... if unsure, rebuild the system. You can't
do much about data they stole while they were a valid
administrator, however, if this could include
sensitive personal data you may need to inform the
authorities.

You can't really contend for an admin who just 'turns
bad' - obviously most companies want to keep their
employees motivated and (where possible) happy and
that should apply to the admin as much as anyone else.

Having multiple admins can be a benefit - or regular
audits from a contracted admin. Make sure the admin
takes all his/her holidays and have a suitably expert
replacement while they're away.

An admin with a grudge is a great inconvenience - it's
always worthwhile expending time and money at the
outset - to fully check the references and ensure
there are no recorded offences which ring alarm bells
for you.