From: esper at sherohman.org (Dave Sherohman)
Subject: Re: GAYER THAN AIDS ADVISORY #01: IE 5 remote code execution

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:29:49AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Oh, give me a break. Some developer went, "Oh, hey, I'm not bounds
> checking there. Okay, fix that," and the changes filtered out into
> the release of IE. You don't release "security patches" except in
> response to publication of a serious vulnerability, and especially
> overflow. Do we expect even Sun or Apple to tell us about every
> buffer overflow they fix? Hell, do we expect Linux or NetBSD to do
> so?

Funny that you should ask that on the same day that I (and this list)
have received no fewer than four notices from Debian that they've
released new versions of various kernel packages to fix *a* local
root hole caused by not checking a function's return value.

So, yes, I do expect my Linux distributor to tell me about every
buffer overflow they fix - and they do, either with mail from the
debian-security list or with Changelogs included in the packages.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that