From: chs at 23.org (CHS)
Subject: Re: Re: GAYER THAN AIDS ADVISORY #01: IE 5
 remote code execution

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Shawn K. Hall (RA/Security) wrote:

> It *does* happen. It *can* cause loss of life. Not having power during
> the summer heat is definitely capable of loss of life, especially for
> the very young and elderly, who rely on air conditioning and other
> 'home' power devices to survive their environments.

one of the things that pisses me off about people in this day and age is
the refusal to believe in the fact that there are "acceptable" levels of
death due to X. X can be whatever you want it to be.

there are acceptable levels of rat droppings in food, just as there are
acceptable levels of deaths by terrorism before a "problem" is declared.
refusal to accept this is utter ignorance.

it's a numbers game. with multiple BILLIONS of people on the planet, a
few of them dying from heat exhaustion due to losing power in the summer
is really no big deal. it's an acceptable loss. it's a fraction of a
fraction of a fraction of a percent of the people on the planet. hell,
it's a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the people who die EVERY
SINGLE DAY due to just plain living.

----
-- http://www.23.org/~chs/ -- AIM/AOL: bdsmchs