From: insecure at ameritech.net (insecure)
Subject: Re: Re: GAYER THAN AIDS ADVISORY #01: IE 5
 remote code execution

Tim wrote:

>>The first is that this IE bug is life-threatening. It's not.
<snip>
>>Where's the problem?
>>This is outrageous FUD. Web browsers are not used in medical
>>appliances.
>

> Oh?  Have you worked in a hospital?  I haven't, but I am willing to bet
> a lot of medical records and even appliances are run on Windows.
> Correct me if I am wrong.

<snip>

I do work in a hospital in the US. No sane person would run a medical
device on Windows, or at least connect same to a production network.
However, insanity is rampant...

Many, if not most, medical record systems, diagnostic, and treatment
devices run on Windows. The reason is simple: economics. The OS is
cheaper than dedicated, hardened real-time OS's. Programming tools and
programmers are cheaper, by far. The costs, as in the risk to patients'
privacy and safety, can be easily shifted onto someone else.

One of the largest selling systems used for storing and annotating
images of paper medical records is written in Word macros. It's a very
unstable system, but who cares if it has to be rebooted every day?
Probably only the patients whose records get corrupted or lost in the
process.

Many of these systems come from the vendor with default shares enabled
allowing anonymous access, no patches, default passwords, no anti-virus,
etc. Many health-care organizations then proceed to plug them into the
general network and pretend that nothing's wrong.

We've had both diagnostic and treatment devices infected with viruses
and worms. We've had this happen such while devices were connected to
patients.

So the next time you're at a hospital, consider that chances are anyone
who has network access can find out more about you than you'd care to
have them know, and may be able to modify records and treatment plans if
they are feeling like it.

If you happen to be receiving some potentially dangerous computer-driven
treatment, for example radiation therapy, be assured that the computer
telling the linear accelator where to place to dose, and how much, is
likely to be a Windows box that was set up and maintained by someone who
has exactly zero knowledge and concern about security issues.