From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: InfoSec sleuths beware ...

All,

I do not have the source code (and who needs hundreds of Megs of bad code
anyway). Therefore I cannot reference *which* parts of W2K/WXP were
stolen/leaked. Has anyone who knows anyone who has seen the legit (203M)
file an insight into which portions/components of the code are in the
leaked distribution? Me thinks that would provide a clue as to whether the
breach was real/intentional. For example, if what was leaked is the
"core code" then I would think that the leak is likely intentional
(since who here, without knowing, could look at the source and grab
the pertinent modules, unless Microsoft's CVS tree is much more organized
thatn the rest of their operation :-). However if the source is all over
the map - i.e. core/active directory/DHCP server/whatever maybe the leak
is legit. Who knows?

Just trying to help brainstorm the topic ~%-O

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                              E-mail: greg@...liss.com
Computer Security                             WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/