From: Marek.Isalski at smuht.nwest.nhs.uk (Marek Isalski)
Subject: Coming soon: CPU fix for buffer
	overflows

>On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 20:38, Mike Barushok wrote:
>> (Note to the non-mathematically inclined: Yes, it might seem
>> difficult to believe, but a 4004 processor combined with
>> unlimited (countable) storage, can emulate the fastest super
>> computer, just not in 'real time').
>What about a quantum computer?

If I remember my computation theory correctly (which I admit I may not do), all the "quantum" upgrade does is give you a bit of a performance boost.  Like reducing exponential-time problems to, say, polynomial time.

[please could someone correct me if I'm wrong]

Bad analogy time...

A non-deterministic Turing Machine is a bit like having an infinite (?probably has to be countable) number of deterministic Turing Machines running in parallel.  The 4004 can simulate that too, just not in 'real time'.  Far from it!  But it will get the answer eventually.

Regards,
Maz