From: axid3j1al at hotmail.com (axid3j1al axid3j1al)
Subject: Looking for a tool

I once had the same problem.

RUn msconfig and then boot with a minimal set of drivers.
Try safe mode?

Then try the sysinternal tools again.

e.g I could not see a exe in the task manager in normal mode (i.e. could
not kill it) but then in the restricted mode it did appear and then I could
easily remove the offending process.

Have you tried the MS spy++ tool from visual studio? That will show all
process and all threads. Howver one assumes that sys internals is just using
the same API that spy++ uses.