From: visitbipin at yahoo.com (bipin gautam)
Subject: Re: Norton AntiVirus 2002 fails to scan files with ...

--- Erwin Paternotte <e.paternotte@...ec-ss.nl> > >
> Ok, so that one is silently fixed by Symantec. What
> about the other
> vulnerability you reported recently? I mean the one
> that will crash NAV
> by using special ASCII characters
> (http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9811). That is
> something you didn't
> report before, did you? Is that one still working on
> a fully patched NAV
> 2002?
>
> Regards,
>
> Erwin

	[Note: *I HAVEN'T TESTED BOTH NAV exploits in older
version's OF NAV* ]

	I reported the "NAV auto protect bypass" exploit
[http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9814] to symantec
more than a year ago. They replied me; "they are
testing the issue..." then i got NO responce from
symantec. May-be they put a silent fix... cauz the
exploit doesn't work for NAV 2003! But this exploit
still works on NAV 2002! [last tested : Feb. 2004 ] I
did posted this exploit in several discussion fourms;
SINCE then people have been successfully pissing NAV
2002.

Then, Just after 6 months of releasing the "NAV auto
protect bypass" exploit.... This time i didn't
reported this bug FORMALLY to symantec; instead JUST
reported this issue to some discussion forms cauz NAV
ignored my LAST advisory nor.... gave me any short of
credit............. INSTEAD put a silent FIX in its
PRODUCT!???

In  "NAV manual scan BYPASS..." exploit....  i
discoverd; a nested file [ virus/trojan] with special
ASCII char. as filename if placed inside a specially
crafted directories... with special ASCII char. as
folder-NAME....then...... If we have a manual scan of
the directory........ either NAV crashes or! it goes
on scanning the same directory again and again
REPETEDLY to an infinite LOOP [BOOM DoS!]

But Mark the fact; in every of my advisory I just
reported; "...Successfully exploiting the bug just
crashes the NAV front END![manual scan] This exploit
has no impact on NAV auto protect engine."  [last
tested on fully patched NAV 2002 : Feb. 2004 ]

but!:

If you read the advisory in bugtraq: [...ASCII Control
Character Denial Of Service Vulnerability]
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9811/discussion/
There is a statememt: 'Although unconfirmed this issue
may allow a malicious file to go un-scanned, and so
lead a user into a false sense of security. '

BUGTRAQ guys are talking about DoS etc... too!!! ITS
TRUE, but......... I never reported that... neither I
know anyone on the internet that EVER raised the
issue! Seems like, guys at bugtraq tested
it............ and found both of the issues to be
true; BUT engineers at symantic still have hard TIME
accepting the ISSUE???!

or?
they couldn't reproduce the exploit in their LAB......

NOW symantec is trying to hide BOTH OF THESE ISSUE; by
exclaming..... NAV  is immune to both of the ISSUE!!!

Note: [...ASCII Control Character Denial Of Service
Vulnerability] ONLY works when you have... Nested file
with special ASCII char. as filename if placed inside
a specially crafted directories... with special ASCII
char. as folder-NAME....

[the folder should contain.... some files and folders
with LONG [>8 char.] file names

say: " [some name] [special ASCII] ! [some special
char*] ... lame "     file /folder NAME!!!

Ref:
http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/nav_bugs.html
http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/