From: randomisedletters at hotmail.com (Random Letters)
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security, baby steps ?

Who are these people who install 'desktop trinkets' and X window managers?
You sound as though you're speaking from direct experience.

Give us some examples of desktop trinkets installed on webservers.

You sound a bit too smug to me.

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands
   Does HoTMaiL come with a spell checker?

> > That's an admin/installer issue, tooo many folks on too many OS'es tend
> > to install the kitchen sink on systems that don't need all the toys
> > trinkets and tools that a desktop developer might need in specific
> > circumstances.
> >
> > While redhat has become the linux version of M$ in all the neato
> > desktop trinkets it has available, the admin doing the install needs to
> > have enough whits about them to know how to trim the fat and lock the
> > box for the purpose it is being  comisioned for.  Too many web servers
> > exposed to the public have too many desktop trinkets and X window
> > managers that are not required for the purpose at hand.
>
>Look: I am in perfect agreement with you, we are *not* saying anything
>different !
>The same savvy admin I mentioned is the one that would harden (and keep
>the installed software to a minimum) not only BSD, but also Linux, and
>Windows too !
>But not ALL admins/installers are like that. Unfortunately I have to say
>that most of them have no clue, and rely too often on default
>configurations.... which in turns creates new easy targets....
>
>It definitely is an installer/admin issue.
>But on any OS :)
>
>I *definitely* prefer the approach where you don't have anything and you
>build the system from the ground up (debian, gentoo, BSD for example).
>But the same clueless installer who will leave the dafault bells and
>whistles on redhat and on windows..... is the one who could not even
>INSTALL BSD in the first place.... so here we are again....It's a vicious
>circle....

17:12