From: kenng at kpmg.com (Ng, Kenneth (US))
Subject: Re: Microsoft Security, baby steps ?

Totally agree.  There is no magic bullet for security, especially on a large
network.  You can have firewalls guarding the outside, run Anti Virus
against the mail servers, the file servers, and all the desktops.  How about
consultants coming in?  How about vendor demos that need to be plugged into
the network?  How about appliance servers where the vendor claims "you don't
need to patch this", and they are really running W2K with no service packs
wide open with every service known to mankind enabled?  How about
applications that break because they depend on the MSSQL SA password being
blank?  How about those network aware copiers or fax machines or distributed
door locks or HVAC (really) systems?  Nothing will catch everything.  Anyone
who says so is selling snake oil or hiding management nightmares.  Yes
firewalls and other related hardware help.  We also need software vendors to
stop giving lip service to security and start actually implementing it.  We
need software vendors to start publishing network protocols so that
firewalls can actually look at the traffic and make intelligent decisions.
We need software and hardware vendors to stop saying "security is not our
problem".