From: thmaillists at yahoo.com (Troy)
Subject: viruses being sent to this list

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:49:55 +0200, Gadi Evron <ge@...tistical.reprehensible.net> wrote:

> Need or no need, the fact is that after this started happening, the
> volume of it happening, and with new malware, increased dramatically and
> close to the release dates. Usually after the worm is already well-seeded.

Considering the number of people subscribed to this list, I'm not
surprised. These worms spread very quickly. The odds of somebody
subscribed to this list getting infected close to the release dates are
very good. If a subscriber is infected, the worm almost definitely will
be sent to the list.

> It does not state that malware will be sent out daily, some of which
> infects either under false pretense (undeclared, lies, social
> engineering) or automatically (by using bugs/vulnerabilities/whatever).

I don't see daily malware on this list. I've seen a few, but I get far
more malware sent to an email account I use to post to Usenet.

> As the list charter doe snot state that by subscribing I'd open myself
> to such continuous attacks, and it may be dangerous for me to be
> subscribed. Or that in fact by subscribing I may attract viruses through
> the mailing list itself -

Usenet charters also usually do not say that, and they're a much larger
breeding ground for malware.

> As I mentioned this is not about signal-noise, flames, or anything else.
> It is about filtering out malware.
>
> It is about taking responsibility.

That responsibility ultimately lies with you. By relying on others to
filter out worms for you, you're lulling yourself into a false sense of
security, which is worse than no security at all.

--
Troy