From: dtucker at zip.com.au (Darren Tucker)
Subject: AIX 4.3.3 has make sgid 0?

BoneMachine wrote:
> I was browsing the SecurityFocus vulnerability database and found the following:
> http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9903
> "Because the make utility is reported to run with setGID root privileges, a local attacker may potentially exploit this condition to gain access to the root group"
>
> Is this true ? I cannot believe that IBM has an setGID root-bit on the make utillity. This goes against all security practices I've ever heard.
> Are there people that have more info on this vulnerability or is this a hoax?

make is *not* setgid on my AIX 4.3.3 ML 11 box:

# echo `uname` `oslevel -r`
AIX 4330-11
# ls -l /usr/ccs/bin/make
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin    bin    90362 Sep 26 2002  /usr/ccs/bin/make
# lslpp -L bos.adt.base
bos.adt.base   4.3.3.78    C    Base Application Development Toolkit

Out of curiosity, I pulled apart the bos.adt fileset from the 4.3.3
distribution media.  In the bos.adt.base.inventory file, make is
specified as mode 555 and is not setgid there either:

/usr/ccs/bin/make:
           owner = bin
           group = bin
           mode = 555

I guess it's possible that one of the filesets between 4.3.3.0 and
4.3.3.78 is different but I'm not about to find out...

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.