From: himba at siol.net (himba)
Subject: Re: [OFF TOPIC] winxp home expusure

Richard Maudsley wrote:
> The VNC server runs as a system service. It is able to function when there
> are no users logged on.
>
> What do you mean 'how bad'?

bad in security perspective - there are alot of 'rummors' and online
articles about winXP home edition being the worst case for use in
local area networks (company lan, not home lan). We are still running
win98 on most of the desktops but notebooks we obtained recently have
winxp home edition installed by default and didn't bother to use eg.
win98 or winxp pro. though we will have to start using pro version if
want to be able to use vpn and file access from outside of the lan.

> You are suggesting that Windows lies about the state of its network
> interfaces?
hmm, yes, so what it actually closes are maybe just -home networking-
connnections eg. no access to local shares ? So if somebody planted
malicious program it would run always, no matter if someone is logged
in or not.

If the actions performed upon log out would really close all network
connections to the machine running winxp home I belive this would at
least be one very good setting implemented by ms  :)

rgrds, himba