From: tcleary2 at csc.com.au (tcleary2@....com.au)
Subject: viruses being sent to this list

John Sage said:

>What does this tell us? Virii are getting out via the list; whether
>they are being transmitted inadvertently or deliberately is still open
>to question...

.....and on that very topic, I'm getting bounces where the headers seem
valid, containing old posts of mine to FD from the mailer-daemons of very
reputable sources, containing virus scanner responses ( and viruses ) that
get caught by our scanners.

It seems that either:

a) A worm is sending mails as if from an FD poster and as if the headers
were from the list, using valid addresses and valid/spoofed received
headers from old emails found on cracked machines.
or
b) The worms are being forwarded via the list with apparently valid
subscriber details, as should be happening for an unmoderated list.

I vote the list is not responsible.

I say this because my email address is not subscribed to FD.

Ergo, the list can't have sent the messages I'm getting responses to,
unless the moderator has been sending out my old posts, again.

I think this is conclusive?

Regards,

tom.
"In IT, acceptable solutions depend upon humans - Computers don't
negotiate."
written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail for such purpose.