From: purdy at tecman.com (Curt Purdy)
Subject: [inbox] Possible Comprimised IIS 5  on Win2k help

 James.McDermott@...frb.org  wrote:
> I think my IIs 5.0(Win2k) Server has been comprimised. I would like to do
some
> forensics on it to find out how the person got in. I dont want to re-image
the
> machine and find out he setup a backdoor threw the code and not the o/s

Get Vision from Foundstone as a good start, locate the illicite services and
files.  Do a date search several days around those shown by the services.
Once you've found all the files (hopefully), Google until you've found what
you've got and figure out how it got there and how to clean it.  Also tools
like strings is good for analyzing non-text files as well as many other
tools from SysInternals.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke