From: mvp at joeware.net (joe)
Subject: Microsoft Coding / National Security Risk

Most likely there was testing and research to make sure no one was using the
function internally in a way that wasn't intended that could possibly break.
Of course I am completely guessing. It could have been so that MS could take
their time and hack into all of the open source groups using Windows
machines...

Back to the serious world, I have several key modules that I use in many
different of the tools/programs I write. I am more careful updating them
than any others because they are so central to everything and all of my code
is written and leverage internally by just me. Since my code goes back 10+
years I can't guarantee that I *always* did everything exactly the same and
correctly, so I make an effort to take a quick peek at what I did do any
time I touch central modules.

I think that much code would be hard for anyone to manage. Especially when
MS didn't actually write all of it, they go out to vendors for code as well
as write things internally plus there is stuff that they purchased that they
slowly convert over (previous examples would be like Zoomit or Sybase SQL).

Again I don't like the fact that it took so long to patch, I do notice that
MS is working harder and harder to be secure over the last several years
though so I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they are working
towards making that better.

  joe