From: erwinp21 at hotmail.com (- -)
Subject: Re: new internet explorer exploit  (was new worm)

Drew Coply wrote:
>Yeah. It is a zero day worm, and it is very notable as such.

>I can not recall a previous zero day worm. (AV is not my job, but I do
>try and follow zero day.)

>Hence, IE has birthed us the first zero day worm.

On one hand this worm exploits unpatched vulnerabilities, but on the other
hand these vulnerabilities were already known for some time, as shown in the
references below.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-12/0337.html
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-11/0307.html

MS attempted to patch one of them, but as we all know they failed doing it
properly. Still I think this "worm" is nothing to get to exciting about, it
is nothing more than two known vulnerabilites combined. While I think MS
should patch those vulnerabilities a.s.a.p, the word 0-day is a bit to
strong for this "worm".

Thor Larholm wrote:
>K-OTiK posted about this in http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/354447
>and we posted details of the Ibiza CHM exploit a few weeks before then on
>the Unpatched mailing list ( http://unpatched.pivxlabs.com ).
I assume you mean the brief analyses you posted earlier to the unpatched
mailing list? (sorry, no reference since the unpatched mail archive is
currently down) Have you discovered any new noteworthy information about the
Bizex worm, since you were still researching the impact of the worm when you
send that earlier message to the list?

Regards,

Erwin