From: dcopley at eeye.com (Drew Copley)
Subject: Bugfinder Being Indicted As Criminal ("Counterfeiter") in France

Are you trying to charm your EU counterparts?

There is much positive and negative to say about each side of the pond,
but that wouldn't be very productive on a computer security mailing
list.

What is productive is to remember -- we don't know the full facts of the
case. Very often we become convinced a suspect is guilty or innocent...
but then we discover we did not see all of the facts.

I have seen a friend [thierry of tlsecurity] in France be prosecuted
unfairly before for computer crimes - he was innocent and let go - but
went through some bad times just for the questioning. But, the same
thing could happen anywhere.

Let's fight it wherever it happens. We may all have great national
sentiments - I definitely do - but ultimately this is a global economy
and a global society.

I have seen some evidence that this individual is a virus releaser since
writing this. Off list. Virus writers - full disclosure - virus
releasers...

the difference between someone making a gun and using a gun to kill
someone with.

But, I wouldn't convict him yet, either.

Wait until the court case goes through... though, it would be nice if
our French readers could pick up some more information on this company.