From: robertrepp at hotmail.com (Robert Repp)
Subject: Training & Certifications

Harlan,

What we're doing is porting customers from consultancy by one person to a
new, larger business owned by that person as a growth move. We're
"inheriting" three small (~150 seat) corporations and a handful of small
(~5-25 seat) office businesses. Almost every customer has had some issue
with either trojans, hacking attempts, or DoS. As we go through the sales
process, we're being asked often about all of these.

As a salesman, I'd like to be able to point out a credible authority whose
training informs our work. As a technician, I'm interested in making sure
our team can get actually useful training. I agree that the right people and
skillset is much more important than simply having the right certs on the
lobby wall. Side question: Is there a reliable test you favor when
interviewing new techs about network administration?

This list seemed like the place to ask about widely respected security
authorities, since anything obviously fake or useless tends to be quickly
engulfed in flames.

Thanks,
Rob