From: purdy at tecman.com (Curt Purdy)
Subject: [inbox] Re: Training & Certifications

Harlan Carveywrote:
> > I'm not an authority on training as the only
> > training I've had is SANS, but
> > I can vouch for the quality it.
>
> Any particular instructors?

I had Eric Cole and was very impressed with his knowledge, experience, and
teaching style.  He was in the process of getting his doctorate in
steganography and his experience included a stint with the CIA.

> > ...when I see certain letters, I do pay closer
> > attention.
>
> Which ones?

Like the ones behind my name ;)  Actually the one I've always wanted, CCIE,
I'll likely never get because of the time and resources you need to dedicate
to it.

> "What is the
> > first thing you do with a Windows box and the last
> > thing you do with a *NIX
> > box when you have trouble?" Answer: reboot.
>
> In the real world, rebooting a Windows
> box isn't the first thing you should be doing.

Oh contraire, the first thing we do when we go onsite to work on windows box
is ask my client to reboot it first, particularly if it is a server, as
occassionally they they do not come back up, and we do not want to be blamed
just because the OS is unstable (we have never had a problem with *NIX or
Netware, or AS/400 for that matter).  Also 90% of the time, that simple
rebooting fixes the problem they had (again attributal to a flaky OS).  Of
course if this is a production that is still online and working, we arrange
to do this off-hours. This is the reason all our in-house servers are UNIX
and Netware and 90% of our desktops are Linux (I prefer SuSe from a security
standpoint.)

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions