From: techlist at kc.rr.com (Jeff Schreiner)
Subject: erase with magnet

>>http://www.periphman.com/degaussing/degaussers/v92.shtml

This device can be used to wipe a drive however if you read the bold note at
the bottom of the product description and I quote, "Please note: Hard drives
are NOT reusable once degaussed."

Most likely due to the fact that it scrambles the low level formatting
(track and sector markings) of the drive.  Once the track and sector
markings are scrambled the drive is rendered pretty much useless. Unless you
send it back to the manufacturer to be low level formatted again.

Taken from same site, "Magnetic media products that have factory
pre-recorded magnetic servo patterns should not be degaussed. Degaussing
would erase the factory written magnetic servo signals and leave the media
unusable." in other words hard drives.

I am not aware of any hardware method to wipe a drive and leave it in 100%
usable condition.