From: adam at hif.hu (Szilveszter Adam)
Subject: Wiretap or Magic Lantern?

Although this thread has now been more of a "full-discourse" :-) than
anything else, let me add a few points here:

The fact that there is some advanced technology that we know (and may be
some more that we don't know) about for text gathering and analysis and
the fact that huge databases can be compiled of such information does
not answer the question if it is feasible for a given task.

If all you are after is some general surveillance that is not directed
at anybody in particular, but is more of the "keeping tabs on stuff as
it happens" than sure, the tools are already there and there are several
agencies around the world with the funding to use them. (This is like
the radio surveillance that was very common during the Cold War: both
sides had huge radio interception stations to monitor communictaions,
both broadcasts and not. Those stations in many cases still exist btw,
but we are not so sure what they are used for atm :-) This kind of
operation is intended to call attention to activity that you might want
to check out more closely, but in and of itself is not focused enough to
gather info on say a particular individual or group. Btw this kind of op
is a good supplement to other traditional methods like screening public
and semi-public news channels and piecing together the "big picture"
reading both the lines and between them. Big depts of your favourite
spooking agencies do this everywhere.

If, on the other hand, you are after a specific person or group, you
want to be more sure. For ex, if you want to get at all their phone
calls or emails, your safest bet is still to sit right on their outgoing
line (or at the first junction at the latest) in order not to miss out
on anything. If the subject of your observation has several outgoing
lines, well tough, you have to sit on them all. Otherwise, your subject
might use for example Internet routes that do *not* cross the US, so
your super spying equipment might not catch it. Today, the routing
infrastructure is not as much dependent on the US as it used to be even
a couple of years ago. For an example, try a traceroute from somewhere
in Europe (I tried from Hungary) to say Irkutsk in the Russian
Federation. While a couple of years ago your route would most certainly
go through Frankfurt - London - New York - San Francisco and therefore
would be very convenient for any US agencies, today it goes through eg
Frankfurt - Stockholm - St. Petersburg - Moscow, bypassing the US
entirely, which means that in the meantime our Russian friends have
heavily inevested in the Trans-Siberian lines. Tough luck for any
US-located spying equipment. And knowing that today even North Korea and
Cuba have Internet access, we understand that inter-AS routing has
become more of a politicum than ever before.

This is why traffic interception normally happens at the end provider
level, because there you are much better situated to get all the info.
In many (most?) countries the providers are obligated by law to allow
this interception, install the necessary equipment and to not tell you
about it. And quite often they must foot the bill too. If you look at
the debates eg in Germany about the new Telecommunications Act this
issue is very much in the news. Search for "preventive data interception
and warehousing".

Regards:
Sz.