From: sxpert at esitcom.org (Amaury Jacquot)
Subject: Cisco LEAP exploit tool...

Jeff Schreiner wrote:
> 7 miles away is stretching it a bit far considering that all 802.11g
> wireless transmissions range between 2.4 - 2.4835 Ghz 802.11a/h/j range
> between 5.47 - 5.725 Ghz not only are the frequencies prone to scatter...the
> radio waves bounce off everything.  All wireless routers are limited by FCC
> regulations to a maximum of 1 watt.
>
> http://www.odessaoffice.com/wireless/fcc_ism.html
>
> (1) For frequency hopping systems in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band employing at
> least 75 hopping channels, all frequency hopping systems in the 5725-5850
> MHz band, and all direct sequence systems: 1 watt. For all other frequency
> hopping systems in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band: 0.125 watts.
>
> To get a 2.4 Ghz signal to travel 7 miles you would have to install an
> amplifier to boost the output to somewhere between 5 to 10 watts a 5 Ghz
> signal would require even more at which point you're in violation of FCC
> rules and Uncle Sam might come looking for ya.

not exactly
in fact, you don't need amplifiers in most cases.
you don't even need 1 watt
in fact, the trick lies in the antenna you attach to the active end of
the communication devices.
for instance, we were able to do a 15km link at 11mbit/s with 2 15dBi
antennas from hyperlinktech.com. that's much more than 7 miles (it's
about 10 miles).
with 21dB antennas, we calculated that we'd be able to do 30km, or 20 miles.
and that's with 100mw (netgear MA311 PCI cards)

with 1 watt, you could, erh... go as far as where the roundness of the
earth prevents you from seeing the other station... (you may be able to
do some troposcatter, but you'd probably need much more power...)