From: dave at immunitysec.com (Dave Aitel)
Subject: RE: Risk between discovery and patch

Well, my point is this: There isn't anyone who can say for sure how
many people could have found and exploited the LSASS hole. For sure
geo can't say how many people there are. He thinks it's maybe a
handfull, but more than that, he feels he has to share that opinion
with the whole world on FD and additionally argue that it's ok to not
release patches for years based on that opinion.

But I don't think Immunity is one of the "few that can". I think there
are thousands of people who can do this sort of work - and plenty of
them are already doing it. It's crazy to think that when you find a
bug, that no one else has found that bug. There's no magical line
between for-profit researchers and hobby researchers. If anything,
hobbists (aka hackers) have more time and resources to put towards
vulnerability research and exploitation. The reason there aren't all
sorts of worms coming out for these things is that worms only ruin
bugs, they don't do anything cool with them. They're just the
punchline to the joke that is a dieing bug. There's no motivation
there, since with the right 0day you can own anything you want to own
as it is. Such as eEye or Microsoft or Immunity.

All geo was doing was adding to the noise (which I'll stop doing now).
And his conclusions are silly.

Dave Aitel
Immunity, Inc.
P.S. I didn't write either the ASN.1 or the LSASS bug up. My job is
currently to fill out forms and do paperwork. :>