From: keydet89 at yahoo.com (Harlan Carvey)
Subject: Security Sites

> > I have been looking around and haven't found a
> very good security forum
> > and
> > I was wondering if anyone has some ideas. Im new
> to the security field and
> > am looking at learning as much as possible. Also
> maybe even some more
> > mailing lists. I appreciate everyone that posts
> here I enjoy reading the
> > comments. Thanks in advance

Good luck.  I've been at this since about '95 or so,
going on Usenet, listservs, forums, you name it.  I
won't even begin to suggest that I've seen everything,
b/c I haven't.  But in most of the cases I've seen, if
you open something up to the public, your
signal-to-noise ratio drops to very close to zero.

There have been suggestions to start closed forums,
open only to people who are "in the business" and are
sponsored of validated by someone else.  Well, what
happens then is that there is NO traffic, b/c
everyone's too busy, or are under NDAs, or the stuff
they do is classified...

Anyway, just food for thought...I love the idea of a
specific list for security, but the only way to really
do it is to have it moderated, and that's a lot of work.