From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: AW: no more public exploits

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:06:33 +0200, "Baum, Stefan" <stefan.baum@....com>  said:
> IMHO, no sysadmin taking his work seriously, will wait patching the systems
> until an exploit is available throughout the internet.

You've obviously never been the sysadmin who has a corporate VP breathing down
your neck saying "Like *HELL* you're going to install the patch now - we *HAVE*
*TO* stay up in order to get payroll out on time.  You install that patch and
break payroll, you won't get this paycheck, or any other, ever".

And no, neither hot failovers (think about it for a bit) nor test machines help
the problem - for many environments, the 48 hours we're usually down to is
*not* enough to regression test, schedule downtime, and deploy a security patch
that may include other bugfixes/features as well.